The objective of the World Bank’s General Education Quality Improvement Program for Equity (GEQIP-E) is to assist the government of Ethiopia in improving internal efficiency, equitable access and quality in general education.
The overall mission of the three year TARGET programme is to reach 9,000 schools and provide support to GEQIP-E and the general education sector more broadly, with the aim of improving student learning together with enhancing equity and efficiency.
Link is supporting the development of continuous professional development modules for school leaders and model interventions for scale-up with a focus on inclusion, teachers’ professional development and community engagement.
How we are making a difference
TARGET will support GEQIP-E to refocus the Ethiopian education system to improve learning outcomes through four integrated activities:
- Performance-based delivery
- School leadership training and capacity development
- Enhanced school leadership to improve school performance
- Research, monitoring and evaluation
Link is working on activity three of TARGET which is focused on supporting school leaders through professional development to strengthen instructional leadership, accountability and grant use. This is in addition to developing model interventions to identify what works in addressing the barriers faced by the most marginalised groups in the four emerging regions. These interventions include:
- Capacity building on school improvement planning for all schools
- A pilot on inclusion in each region
- A pilot on teacher performance in each region
- A pilot on engagement with communities in each region